Estamos Con Stringer
Scott Stringer is ready to lead New York City out of the worst health and economic crises of our lifetime and finally root out systemic inequality that has held back our potential as a City. He knows we need bold, transformative solutions to our city’s biggest challenges — and that we must lift up and center our City’s hardest hit communities, particularly the Latino community, in our path forward.
Scott’s agenda to bring Latinos forward from the COVID-19 pandemic is bold and ambitious — and was built with input from Latino, Latina, and Latinx New Yorkers and community leaders from across the city, centered on: overhauling the City’s public health system and COVID-19 response to invest in Latino health, implementing targeted programs to catalyze Latino-owned small businesses and get New Yorkers back to work, and major investments in truly equitable education, affordable housing, public safety, immigrant justice, language access, CUNY and a career pipeline for Latinos in the Green New Deal.
It is a work in progress that will continue to be updated throughout Scott’s campaign.
100 DAYS PRIORITIES FOR LATINOS
To combat the lasting impacts of the pandemic, in his first 100 days, Scott Stringer will take a series of comprehensive actions to advance New York City’s Latino communities, including:
- Put your health first with an overhaul of the pandemic response and preparedness, and by launching the largest ever citywide outreach campaign to ensure more Latinos are enrolled in affordable insurance and access quality health care.
- Supercharge small business with direct grants and tax credits to small, independent, and local Latino-owned businesses recovering from the pandemic and aspiring entrepreneurs to start a business in high-vacancy areas.
- Create a truly equitable government and prioritize language access by appointing a citywide Chief Diversity Officer and elevating Chief Diversity Officers in every City agency to report directly to commissioners to ensure language justice, contract justice — including doubling City spent with Latino-owned M/WBEs, and an equitable workplace throughout City government.
- Expand opportunities for CUNY students by making CUNY community colleges free for all, including for more than 38,000 Latino students, guaranteeing internships for all CUNY students regardless of immigration status, and ensuring a jobs pipeline for Latinos in the green workforce through a Green New Deal for NYC.
- Guarantee summer jobs for all New York City high-school students through the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP), boosting employment and training opportunities for Latino youth throughout the city.
- Bring healthy food to every neighborhood by eradicating food deserts in predominately Latino neighborhoods and creating a $25 million City-based emergency food program to serve undocumented New Yorkers left out of federal and state safety net programs.
- End language discrimination by creating a community legal interpretive bank and language services worker-owned cooperatives, ensuring every City agency has a permanent team of translators to deliver on the promise of language access, and requiring social service providers to have language and translation services to ensure that all New Yorkers are able to access support in the language they speak.
- Protect New Yorkers from ICE by immediately severing any and all formal and informal ties between Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the NYPD and Department of Correction, and ensuring universal legal representation for all immigrant New Yorkers when facing deportation.
TO READ SCOTT’S FULL ‘ESTAMOS CON STRINGER’ AGENDA FOR LATINOS — INCLUDING DEEP DIVES INTO HEALTH CARE, JOBS AND ECONOMY, CHILD CARE AND EDUCATION, MAKING EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD AFFORDABLE, AND BUILDING SAFETY ACROSS THE FIVE BOROUGHS — CLICK HERE.